AEGEE-Budapest was founded in 1990 as the first local organization of AEGEE-Europe on the Eastern side of the late Iron Curtain. Soon after its foundation, it hosted several notable events, such as AEGEE’s biannual general meeting, the Agora, in November of 1991 with about 600 participants. This event was successfully repeated four years later, while organizing various other international and professional activities in between.
The organization reached its current structure in 2005, when it took the name of European Students’ Forum (Európai Hallgatók Hálózatának Egyesülete). The renewed organization started to develop dynamically. By 2010 it became one of the biggest antennas with about 400 members. Besides Corvinus University of Budapest where the organization’s headquarters are located, the organization also has members from other institutions, such as Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Budapest Business School, and Eötvös Lóránd University. Therefore, AEGEE-Budapest accurately shows the multidisciplinary character of AEGEE.
Besides the growth in number of members, our international and local programmes - that include professional conferences, student change programs and summer universities - should be noted as well. Our organization not only shows a high-standard in quantity, but in quality as well, an approach w actively spread within the association.
Currently we have 4 working groups, which are the following:
- Public Relations WG: the improvement of our organization’s image, the design and spreading of posters and flyers, writing articles
- Human Resources WG: recruiting new members, team building, organizing social programmes, organizing international events
- Fund Raising WG: finding sponsors, negotiating with potential and existing partners, tendering, securing financial support for the organization
- International Politics WG: roundtable discussions, social commentary movies and lectures, diplomacy, protocol and negotiation technique trainings
Our regularly organized, bi-annual programs are the freshmen’s camp, and the Local Training Course, that helps our members improve in professional fields.
Our latest projects besides the weekly local programmes and the professional trainings are the following:
- 2011. EU Presidency joint-project with the European Youth Forum (YFJ)
- 2010. Human Resources European School
- 2010. Beating Blue TSU with AEGEE-Beograd (Summer University)
- 2010. Exchange (AEGEE-Amsterdam, Budapest)
- 2010. Love Goes Beyond Tradition, YiA 1.1
- 2009. Retro Monarchy TSU with AEGEE-Wien (Summer University)
- 2009. Y Vote on Education, YiA 1.3
- 2008. Drops II SU (Summer University)
- 2008. Agora Pre-event, Voices of Europe
- 2008. Exchange (AEGEE-Riga, Amsterdam, Cagliari, Budapest), YiA 1.1
- 2007. Exchange (AEGEE-Zaragoza, Athens, Istanbul, Budapest)
- 2007. Drops SU (Summer University)
- 2006. Training for Diplomacy
- 2005. Spanish-Hungarian Exchange, YiA 1.1